The Stephenville High school system includes:
- St. Thomas Aquinas
- Stephenville Primary
- Stephenville Elementary
- Stephenville Middle School
- Stephenville High School
- Pathfinder Learning Centre
- Notice of Motion
- Systems Review Presentation
- Information Booklet (updated)
- Process Summary
- School System Contact Information.
- MOTION: Piccadilly Central High / Stephenville High School Systems, Stephenville High (9-12), Pathfinder Learning Centre (L.S. Eddy) (10-12), Stephenville Middle (6-8), Stephenville Elementary (4-5), Stephenville Primary (K-3); Piccadilly Central High (9-12), St. Thomas Aquinas (K-8), Our Lady of the Cape (K-8), Lourdes Elementary (K-8).
- WHEREAS the Newfoundland and Labrador English School District is committed to providing the best possible educational programs for students; and
- WHEREAS a reconfiguration of grading and a reorganization of schooling in the Piccadilly Central High/ Stephenville High School Systems is required to achieve that objective;
- BE IT THEREFORE RESOLVED that: St. Thomas Aquinas (K-8) will close effective June, 2020. Stephenville Elementary (4-5) will close effective June, 2020.
- BE IT THEREFORE FURTHER RESOLVED that: Stephenville Middle School will be reconfigured from Grades 6-8 to Grades 4-7. Stephenville High School will be reconfigured from Grades 9-12 to Grades 8-12.
- BE IT THEREFORE FURTHER RESOLVED that: All students attending Stephenville Elementary will attend Stephenville Middle School.
- BE IT THEREFORE FURTHER RESOLVED that: Stephenville Primary School student attendance zone will be rezoned to include the current student attendance zone for St. Thomas Aquinas. Stephenville Middle School student attendance zone will be rezoned to include the current student attendance zone for St. Thomas Aquinas. Stephenville High School student attendance zone will be rezoned to include the current student attendance zone for St. Thomas Aquinas. All students who previously attended St. Thomas Aquinas K-8 and who are currently attending Piccadilly Central High will continue to attend Piccadilly Central High until completion of high school.
- BE IT THEREFORE FURTHER RESOLVED that: The Pathfinder Learning Centre (L.S. Eddy) (10-12) will relocate to the site of the former Stephenville Elementary.
The motion is expected to be voted on at the March 28, 2020 public meeting of the Board following the sharing of information and consultation with the school community, as outlined below.
- Memo to Families - Release of ThoughtExchange Report (February 7)
- Memo to Families - Extension of ThoughtExchange Deadline (January 27, 2020)
- Memo to Families - Public School Community Meeting Announced (January 21, 2020)
- Memo to Families - Release of Updated Booklet/Launch of ThoughtExchange (January 16, 2020)
- Memo to Families - Update (December 19, 2019)
- Memo to Families - Notice of Motion (December 7, 2019)
It is extremely important for members of the school community to provide their feedback during this process and the District is providing a number of opportunities for school community members to have their voices heard.
An opportunity for community members to present views and opinions of the changes proposed in the December 7, 2019 Notice of Motion was made available to the school community through the online consultation tool ThoughtExchangein January, 2020.
As part of the school review consultation process, the school community was asked to provide their input on a question related to the Motion being brought forward at the March 28 meeting of the Board.
Below, please find the ThoughtExchange report on the results of this consultation.
Please review the ThoughtExchange report results here.
Please note: Any member of the school community who may have issues connecting with ThoughtExchange using technology (internet connection problems, computer access, language barriers, etc.) should connect with the school administration of a school within this system. District schools are committed to ensuring families are able to provide their valuable input into this process.
School Community Meeting
The District will be holding a public school community meeting in your area on Thursday, March 5, 2020, beginning at 6:00 p.m. at Stephenville High School.
Members of the school community who would like to make a presentation to the Board of Trustees may do so at this time. Please note:
- Priority will be given to parents/guardians of students within the system.
- Presenters are asked to contact John Way at 709-727-8684 (between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.) or firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, February 20th at 4:00 p.m. to schedule a time.
- Presentations are to be a maximum of 10 minutes in length and Trustees may wish to pose questions to presenters for clarity following the allotted presentation time.
- An electronic or hard (paper) copy of your presentation is to be provided to the District and will become a record of the Board of Trustees.
- Consultation with the school communities;
- An inclusive survey mechanism (ThoughtExchange) will be provided for individuals to outline their thoughts and opinions on the motion(s) being considered during the review (Round Two);
- A school community meeting will be scheduled in the area to invite presentations, scheduled in advance, to be made to the Board;
- In the interest of ensuring an informed community discussion, the District and ThoughtExchange will analyze the results of online consultations and a report on the results will be provided to the school community in advance of the school community meeting; and
- At the March 28, 2020 public meeting of the Newfoundland and Labrador English School Board in St. John's, trustees will vote on the motion.
- Mid-December - A new and updated webpage containing information on the proposed school system review will be made available to the school community following the December 7, 2019 Notice of Motion from the Board of Trustees.
- January, 2020 - A new and updated webpage containing information on the proposed school system review will be made available to the school community following the December 7, 2019 Notice of Motion from the Board of Trustees. The District will make a ThoughtExchange opportunity (Round Two) available to school communities to provide input on the Motion. The survey will be available for approximately 10 days to 2 weeks. The District, in conjunction with ThoughtExchange, will analyze the data and work to provide a public report on the thoughts collected within a few weeks of the deadline date.
- February/March, 2020 - District staff will continue discussions with school administrators and school councils. Where weather and schedules permit, trustees may be provided an opportunity to tour the area school(s). A public meeting will be held in the area where individuals will be invited to make scheduled presentations to the Board (maximum 10 minutes in length). The meeting will be chaired by representatives from the Board of Trustees, attended by District staff, and open to the public.
- March, 2020 - Board trustees will review and consider all feedback received from the school community, as well as all information and data provided from District staff throughout the school review process. At their regular public meeting on March 28, 2020, which is expected to be live-streamed at www.nlesd.ca, the Newfoundland and Labrador English School Board Trustees will vote on the Motion.
Stephenville High School System
St. Thomas Aquinas, Stephenville Primary, Stephenville Elementary, Stephenville Middle, and Stephenville High
Piccadilly Central High School System
Our Lady of the Cape, Lourdes Elementary, and Piccadilly Central High
Delores Clarke-Genge · 637-4000 · email@example.com.
Pathfinder Learning Center (Truman Greenham) · 637-4000 · firstname.lastname@example.org.