The review began following the October 26, 2019 meeting of the Board, focusing on potential school system improvements in areas of declining enrolment and involved initial consultations with the school councils and/or school community. For all early information and the initial feedback shared during the first round of community consultations, please visit the archived website here (Fall, 2019).
The Phoenix Academy and Gill Memorial Academy school systems include:Zone 9 Trustee Winston Carter.
Please find below information outlining the:
- Notice of Motion
- Systems Review Presentation
- Information Booklet (updated)
- Process Summary
- School System Contact Information.
- MOTION: Gill Memorial Academy/Phoenix Academy School System, Gill Memorial Academy (K-12), Phoenix Academy (K-12), Sandstone Academy (K-6)
- WHEREAS the Newfoundland and Labrador English School District is committed to providing the best possible educational programs for students; and
- WHEREAS a reorganization of schooling in the Gill Memorial Academy/Phoenix Academy School Systems is required to achieve that objective;
- BE IT THEREFORE RESOLVED that: Sandstone Academy K-6 will close effective June, 2020 and all students will attend Phoenix Academy K-12 effective September, 2020.
- BE IT THEREFORE FURTHER RESOLVED that: The student attendance zone for Phoenix Academy will be rezoned to include the current student attendance zone for Sandstone Academy.
As the Notice of Motion tabled in December does not directly impact Gill Memorial Academy, the District is not required to further engage with the GMA school community at this time. This round of consultations will focus primarily on the Phoenix Academy feeder system, which includes Phoenix Academy and Sandstone Academy.
- Memo to Families - Release of ThoughtExchange Report/ Update of Meeting Location (February 7)
- Memo to Families - ThoughtExchange Deadline (January 27)
- Memo to Families - Public School Community Meeting Announced (January 21, 2020)
- Memo to Families - Release of Updated Booklet/Launch of ThoughtExchange (January 16, 2020)
- Memo to PA Families - Update (December 19, 2019)
- Memo to GMA Families - Update (December 19, 2019)
- Memo to Families - Notice of Motions (December 7, 2019)
An opportunity for community members to present views and opinions of the changes proposed in the December 7, 2019 Notice of Motion was made available to the school community through the online consultation tool ThoughtExchangein January, 2020.
As part of the school review consultation process, the school community was asked to provide their input on a question related to the Motion being brought forward at the March 28 meeting of the Board.
Below, please find the ThoughtExchange report on the results of this consultation.
Please review the ThoughtExchange report results here.
Please note: Any member of the school community who may have issues connecting with ThoughtExchange using technology (internet connection problems, computer access, language barriers, etc.) should connect with the school administration of a school within this system. District schools are committed to ensuring families are able to provide their valuable input into this process.
School Community Meeting
The District will be holding a public school community meeting in your area on Tuesday, March 17, 2020 beginning at 6:00 p.m. at Sandstone Academy, Ladle Cove. (updated location)
Members of the school community who would like to make a presentation to the Board of Trustees may do so at this time. Please note:
- Priority will be given to parents/guardians of students within the system.
- Presenters are asked to contact John Way at 709-727-8684 (between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.) or firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, February 20th at 4:00 p.m. to schedule a time.
- Presentations are to be a maximum of 10 minutes in length and Trustees may wish to pose questions to presenters for clarity following the allotted presentation time.
- An electronic or hard (paper) copy of your presentation is to be provided to the District and will become a record of the Board of Trustees.
- Consultation with the school communities;
- An inclusive survey mechanism (ThoughtExchange) will be provided for individuals to outline their thoughts and opinions on the motion(s) being considered during the review (Round Two);
- A school community meeting will be scheduled in the area to invite presentations, scheduled in advance, to be made to the Board;
- In the interest of ensuring an informed community discussion, the District and ThoughtExchange will analyze the results of online consultations and a report on the results will be provided to the school community in advance of the school community meeting, and
- At the March 28, 2020 public meeting of the Newfoundland and Labrador English School Board in St. John's, trustees will vote on the motion.
- January, 2020 - A new webpage containing information on the proposed school system review will be made available to the school community following the December 7, 2019 Notice of Motion from the Board of Trustees. The District will make a ThoughtExchange opportunity available to school communities to provide input on the Motion. The survey will be available for approximately 10 days to 2 weeks. The District, in conjunction with ThoughtExchange, will analyze the data and work to provide a public report on the thoughts collected within a few weeks of the deadline date.
- February/March, 2020 - District staff will continue discussions with school administrators and school councils. Where weather and schedules permit, trustees may be provided an opportunity to tour the area school(s). A public meeting will be held in the area where individuals will be invited to make scheduled presentations to the Board (maximum 10 minutes in length). The meeting will be chaired by representatives from the Board of Trustees, attended by District staff, and open to the public.
- March, 2020 - Board trustees will review and consider all feedback received from the school community, as well as all information and data provided from District staff throughout the school review process. At their regular public meeting on March 28, 2020, which is expected to be live-streamed at www.nlesd.ca, the Newfoundland and Labrador English School Board Trustees will vote on the Motion.
Phoenix Academy and Gill Memorial Academy School Systems
(Phoenix Academy, Sandstone Academy, and Gill Memorial Academy)
Maria Antle · 256-2547 (ext. 314) · email@example.com.