The review began following the October 26, 2019 meeting of the Board, focusing on potential school system improvements in areas of declining enrollment and involved initial consultations with the Charlottetown Primary families and the school administrations.
The Glovertown Academy school system includes:Zone 9 Trustee Winston Carter.
Please find below information outlining the:
- Notice of Motion
- Systems Review Presentation
- Information Booklet (updated)
- Process Summary
- School System Contact Information
- MOTION: Glovertown Academy School System, Glovertown Academy (K-12), Charlottetown Primary (K-3):
- WHEREAS the Newfoundland and Labrador English School District is committed to providing the best possible educational programs for students; and
- WHEREAS a reorganization of schooling in the Glovertown School System is required to achieve that objective;
- BE IT THEREFORE RESOLVED that: Charlottetown Primary school, K-3, will close effective June 2020.
- BE IT THEREFORE FURTHER RESOLVED that: Students attending Charlottetown Primary will attend Glovertown Academy K-12 effective September, 2020.
- BE IT THEREFORE FURTHER RESOLVED that: The student attendance zone for Glovertown Academy will be rezoned to include the current student attendance zone for Charlottetown Primary.
The motion is expected to be voted on at the March 28, 2020 public meeting of the Board following the sharing of information and consultation with the school community, as outlined below.
- Memo to Families - Release of ThoughtExchange Report (February 5)
- Memo to Families - ThoughtExchange Deadline (January 27)
- Memo to Families - Public School Community Meeting Announced (January 21, 2020)
- Memo to Families - Release of Updated Booklet/Launch of ThoughtExchange (January 16, 2020)
- Memo to Families - Notice of Motion (December 19, 2019)
- Memo to Families - Notice of Motion (December 7, 2019)
An opportunity for community members to present views and opinions of the changes proposed in the December 7, 2019 Notice of Motion was made available to the school community through the online consultation tool ThoughtExchangein January, 2020.
As part of the school review consultation process, the school community was asked to provide their input on a question related to the Motion being brought forward at the March 28 meeting of the Board.
Below, please find the ThoughtExchange report on the results of this consultation.
Please review the ThoughtExchange report results here.
Please note: Any member of the school community who may have issues connecting with ThoughtExchange using technology (internet connection problems, computer access, language barriers, etc.) should connect with the school administration of a school within this system. District schools are committed to ensuring families are able to provide their valuable input into this process.
School Community Meeting
The District will be holding a public school community meeting in your area on Tuesday, March 3, 2020 beginning at 6:00 p.m. at the Orange Lodge #57 in Charlottetown (directly across the street from Charlottetown Primary).
Members of the school community who would like to make a presentation to the Board of Trustees may do so at this time. Please note:
- Priority will be given to parents/guardians of students within the system.
- Presenters are asked to contact John Way at 709-727-8684 (between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.) or firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, February 20th at 4:00 p.m. to schedule a time.
- Presentations are to be a maximum of 10 minutes in length and Trustees may wish to pose questions to presenters for clarity following the allotted presentation time.
- An electronic or hard (paper) copy of your presentation is to be provided to the District and will become a record of the Board of Trustees.
- Consultation with the school communities;
- An inclusive survey mechanism (ThoughtExchange) will be provided for individuals to outline their thoughts and opinions on the motion(s) being considered during the review;
- A public meeting will be scheduled in the school community area to invite presentations, scheduled in advance, to be made to the Board;
- In the interest of ensuring an informed community discussion, the District and ThoughtExchange will analyze the results of online consultations and a report on the results will be provided to the school community in advance of the school community meeting; and
- At the March 28, 2020 public meeting of the Newfoundland and Labrador English School Board in St. John's, trustees will vote on the motion.
- January, 2020 January, 2020- A new webpage containing information on the proposed school system review will be made available to the school community following the December 7, 2019 Notice of Motion from the Board of Trustees. The District will make a ThoughtExchange opportunity available to school communities to provide input on the Motion. The survey will be available for approximately 10 days to 2 weeks. The District, in conjunction with ThoughtExchange, will analyze the data and work to provide a public report on the thoughts collected within a few weeks of the deadline date.
- FebruaryMarch, 2020 - District staff will continue discussions with school administrators and school councils. Where weather and schedules permit, trustees may be provided an opportunity to tour the area school(s). A public meeting will be held in the area where individuals will be invited to make scheduled presentations to the Board (maximum 10 minutes in length). Please note, trustees may ask questions of presenters following their scheduled presentation. The meeting will be chaired by a member of the Board of Trustees, attended by District staff, and open to the public.
- March, 2020 - Board trustees will review and consider all feedback received from the school community, as well as all information and data provided from District staff throughout the school review process. At their regular public meeting on March 28, 2020, which is expected to be live-streamed at www.nlesd.ca, the Newfoundland and Labrador English School Board Trustees will vote on the Motion.
Glovertown Academy School System
(Charlottetown Primary and Glovertown Academy)
Duane Smith · 709) 256-2547 (ext. 277) · email@example.com.